After being banged by governments of several countries for indexing unlawful content, Google has started categorizing the content (especially blogs) based on the writer & the reader’s country. So now by default, whenever you open a Blogspot blog, you will automatically be redirected to the country-specific domain (Ex: blogspot.in, blogspot.jp, etc.) Blogspot redirects to country specific domains in more than 15 countries and the number is expected to grow with time as governments of various countries are busy strengthening their laws which in turn is putting some pressure on Google. Country-specific redirection helps in serving or displaying the blog and its contents only in the countries where it is legally allowed. Google can now block a blog and its contents in one country but still have it displayed in the others.
Country specific redirection is now live on more than 15 countries including India, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Italy, France, Sweden & some more. Here’s an exclusive list of the countries and the country-specific domains where blogspot.com blogs are redirecting to country specific blogs.
India [blogspot.in], Australia [blogspot.com.au], UK [blogspot.co.uk], Japan [blogspot.jp], New Zealand [blogspot.co.nz], Canada [blogspot.ca], Germany [blogspot.de], Italy [blogspot.it], France [blogspot.fr], Sweden [blogspot.se], Spain [blogspot.com.es], Portugal [blogspot.pt], Brazil [blogspot.com.br], Argentina [blogspot.com.ar], Mexico [blogspot.mx]
How Country Specific Redirection Affects Your Blog?
1. It helps you to be safe from the dark side of the governments of various countries and blog safely.
2. As your post is now served via several domains, it affects your Twitter tweets count, Facebook share count, Google +1 count, etc.
3. This may also cost you some link juice and you may be the next victim of Google Panda in case the same content gets indexed into Google from several domains.
4. Causes problems with some applications and widgets.
If your traffic or your SEO efforts are affected by Google’s decision to redirect Blogspot blogs to country specific domains, here’s an interesting and useful script which will prevent your Blogspot blog from redirecting to a country specific name.
This script once added to your template will redirect your blog’s visitors to your main Blogspot blog, the .com one instead of redirecting them to the country-specific domain names.
1. Log In to your Blogspot account and visit your dashboard.
2. Click on Choose Template and then click on Edit HTML button followed by Proceed.
3. Now copy the above script and paste it into the template after the first <head> tag.
4. Click the Save Template button.
This script force-redirects your visitors to the .com version of your Blogspot blog than redirecting them to the country specific domain.
Related Blog Posts
Share The Blog Post
Last Updated: May 25, 2013